Lowell was a great friend to Key Equipment & Supply. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Janell and his family. He will be missed.
Lowell B. Patterson, P.E., a great the MO Chapter of APWA and recipient of APWA National Top Ten Leader of the Year in 1999 passed away on April 11, 2019. Lowell was best known by our membership as the Director of the Columbia Public Works Department from 1986 to 2005. He received his life membership in APWA in 2002.
Mr. Patterson, 76, was born in West Plains on March 27, 1943 after a short illness. Per Lowell’s wishes, there were no services. Survivors include his wife, Janelle; daughter, Shelley; son, Randy; three grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Memorials may be made to ESS Foundation, Inc., Attn: Sarah Snodderley, 2301 I-70 Dr. NW, Columbia, MO 65202.
During Mr. Patterson’s tenure as director, the public works department was accredited by APWA in 2001 and has been associated with many extremely significant projects that contributed to the high quality of life enjoyed by the citizens of Columbia. One was the construction of a wastewater treatment wetlands project in conjunction with a Missouri Department of Conservation wildlife wetlands project which won national acclaim and resulted in the “National Livability Award” from the National Conference of Mayors in 1994. The Public Works Department also had primary responsibility for the development and implementation of Columbia’s Land Preservation Act in 1991 and the storm water utility which was approved by Columbia voters in 1993.
Mr. Patterson represented the City in many forums. He made presentations to national conferences including the Solid Waste Association of North America, the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and the American Pubic Works Association. Mr. Patterson was the Missouri Municipal League’s representative on an engineering advisory committee to the Missouri Department of Transportation and previously served on the Governor’s Wetlands Advisory Council.
As an APWA member, in addition to being a national Top Ten awardee, Mr. Patterson was the Missouri Chapter APWA president in 1997 and received the D2 award, the highest individual award presented by the Missouri Chapter, in 1998. Mr. Patterson also served in the following roles within APWA:
· Chair, National APWA Solid Waste Management PET Committee, 1998-99;
· Member, Finance Subcommittee for APWA Congress in Kansas City, 1998-2002;
· Member, National APWA Solid Waste Management PET Committee, 1996-98;
· MO Chapter Representative for National APWA Legislative Monitoring Pilot Project, 1998;
· Member of APWA Congress Program Committee,1998;
· Program Chairman for APWA Mid-America Conference and Exhibit-Kansas City, MO, 1998;
· MO Chapter representative at EPA stakeholder meeting on Environmental Compliance, 1997
· Management Committee for North American Show Conference in Kansas City, 1996-97;
· MO Chapter Vice-President, 1996;
· MO Chapter Secretary, 1995;
· Program Chairman for APWA Mid-America Conference and Exhibit-Kansas City, MO, 1995;
· MO Chapter Treasurer, 1994;
· Program Chairman for MO Chapter Fall meeting – Lake of the Ozarks, MO, 1994;
· Management Committee for Mid-America Conference – Kansas City, MO, 1992 & 1989.
Following his tenure with the City of Columbia Mr. Patterson was an employee-owner for Emery Sapp & Sons from 2005 to 2014. Prior to his move to Columbia, Mr. Patterson served as the City Administrator in Willow Springs from 1985-1986, Project Manager for RKL Construction in West Plains from 1984-1985, City Engineer for the City of West Plains from 1968-1984, and a Relocations Engineer for the US Army Corps of Engineers from 1966 to 1968. He received his BS Civil Engineering from the University of MO – Rolla in 1966.